Saturday, January 2, 2010

My History with the Alberta Liberal Party - Part IX

June 2007 to December 2009

I was in the Sultanate of Oman for both the ’08 provincial and federal campaigns dealing with the ole prostate problem. It all ended well and a 100% recovery thanks to good care in Canada and Oman.

The final chapter of my involvement with the Alberta Liberal Party came with the by-election in Calgary-Glenmore.

The by-election was necessitated when Ron Stevens resigned and was immediately appointed an Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench judge not being satisfied with pocketing our money as an MLA and a Cabinet Minister and he now needed more of our asset as a judge.

After the nomination for the Liberal Party was convened and Dr. Avalon Roberts won the day I was asked by Brendan Dunphy to consider managing her campaign. I must admit at first glance I didn’t like her chances but every time we met my respect and admiration for her grew and finally I felt she was a brilliant candidate and we could win this. I thank Brendan for getting me involved.

Once again we had a terrific campaign team with too many to mention but there was Ruth Huber organizing people and delivering every time.

We had an excellent run and came within 200 plus votes of winning a very Conservative seat and when squeezed for reasons why we lost they were as follows;
1. Ignatieff mused about a fall election which voters did not want and the doors started to say “you Liberals, we don’t need an election”. We are lumped together with the feds and if he had only stayed quiet until September 15th, who knows. Our polling showed a decline in support after he spoke.
2. Voters did not understand what the Provincial Liberals stood for.
3. The doors did not know or understand Dr. Swann even though he was a tireless campaigner, there was no recognition.

After the by-election I traveled to Oman and from there offered to once again organize the provincial constituencies and once again was rejected.

I resigned from any organizational capacity December 21st, 2009.

Presently, I am contemplating my future…

2 comments:

  1. Donn,

    I would love your choosing to be instrumental in changing the world for the better.

    BTW the way, the pharmaceutical population delinealators tell me that my 21 million estimate was too low.

    You need to pick up a sword. Glad that prostate thing worked out for the best!!

    Tedde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend and keep the comments coming, one day we will actually meet face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete